Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mt. Everest!!!

This Wednesday (March 25) my dad, Bruce Parker, is leaving to attempt to climb Mt. Everest. It will be is final summit on his quest to climb the Seven Summits and he will be gone for about 2 1/2 months. For those you who don't know, the Seven Summits refers to the highest mountain on each of the seven continents. There are only about 230 people in the world who have completed it, so it is quite a task and quite an accomplishment!

My mom is doing a blog which is much more detailed and has a lot more information about the Seven Summits. She will be updating his progress regularly. For anyone interested in viewing it, link here. I have also added the blog to my blog list, so you can connect there as well.


Mt. Everest is really only climbable in the spring, that is when the weather is best. Last year, my dad was all set up to go, but because of all the political unrest in China, the government closed all the borders to the country, and no one was able to climb it. So instead he climbed Manaslu, a mountain in Nepal that is only about 2,000 feet short of Mt. Everest. This picture is him on the summit.



Mt. Everest
This picture shows the North and South faces of Mt. Everest. My dad originally wanted to climb the North ridge, but that way is closed, so he will be climbing the South ridge, which is less technical than the north, but more dangerous because of the icefall.


This is a picture of my dad (in the red coat) when he summited Mt. McKinley, which is the highest peak in North America. This picture used to hang in Great Harvest before they moved locations.

6 comments:

Julianne Howes said...

HOLY COW!! Your dad is very ambitious! I don't even think i could attempt hiking the Wellsville's!! Haha. Thanks for posting the link! I am exciting to see the process!

McKenna's page said...

I can't believe he is really doing it. That is really cool, good luck.

Missy said...

HOLY SMOKES, MT EVEREST! Your Dad is climbing Mt. Everest... this is blowing my mind right now! Yes keep us updated for sure!

Amy said...

your dad is crazy! totally awesome though. it will be cool to see how he is doing. good for your mom for being such a trooper.

Becky said...

Wow! I'm glad you shared. That is amazing that he's going! I'll have to check the blog for updates!

Claire said...

Hey Amy- this is Claire from LHS. My mom told me your dad was doing that. That's seriously SO amazing!!!! You and your fam must be SO proud! I hope everything goes well. Your little baby is so cute! Fun to see your blog!